Skip to content

Maintaining Student Status

Other information on maintaining F-1 student status at Worldwide campuses is available below.

Address Change/Email/Phone Number

Complete the following form to change your address

Change of Address

Health Insurance Information and Waivers

Health Care in the United States can be expensive, especially if it includes a stay in a hospital. All Embry-Riddle students are required to have medical insurance. To ensure that all students have an appropriate level of insurance, a copy of your student insurance policy will be required before enrollment is permitted.

This insurance must show the following: 
  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness; 
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000; 
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of exchange visitors to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000; and 
  • Deductibles not to exceed $500 per accident or illness. 
Please email a copy of your policy and insurance card to
Questions can also be directed to the email address above.

Invitation Letters

Do my family and friends need to apply for a visa to visit me? It depends. If your family or friends are citizens of countries which extend visa travel waivers to U.S. citizens, then they will not need to apply for a visa under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), but will need to request a travel approval through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). More information about the Visa Waiver Program is available at the following link.

Visitors with citizenship from countries which do not participate in the VWP should apply for a B-2 Tourist visa to come to the United States. The procedures and documentation needed to apply for a B-2 Visa may vary between embassies/consulates. Please have your family and friends review the application details of the nearest embassy/consulate. For more information, please visit the following website.

Invitation letter example

If your spouse and/or dependent children (under the age of 21) would like to visit you or join you for an extended amount of time, they are eligible to come to the U.S. as an F-2 visa holder. You may submit a request for dependent I-20 by completing the application below.


Obtain Driver’s License

The following section provides information in order to obtain a driver's license from the Department of Motor Vehicles in the state of Florida.  If you are an international student outside of the state of Florida the following website is provided to give you some additional information on how to obtain a license in another state. This is site is not maintained by any state government and should only be used as a reference. 

NOTE:  You will NOT be able to obtain a driver's license until you are fully registered in the SEVIS system this will take between 3 and 4 weeks after your first semester of classes.  

Step 1: Set an appointment at the following website.

Step 2: Review and take the following Needed Documents for Drivers License to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

Step 3: Pay fee at DMV

Step 4: Take and pass a Class-E knowledge and driving test and exam?
  • This is reciprocated (waived) if you present a driver license from any of the following:
    • Canada*
    • France
    • Germany (Driving Exam only)
    • Republic of China (Taiwan)
    • South Korea
Step 5:  Take and pass a vision test

*Canadians can reciprocate examination requirements by surrendering their Canadian driver license; if not surrendered, Class E exams will be required. Licenses from other states or U.S. territories/ possessions must be surrendered when the Florida license is issued.

More Official Information can be found here
Use the Florida Official Driver's License Handbook to study for your exam
Procedure for obtaining a Social Security Number

You will need to go to Student Employment with the following documents:
  • I-20
  • Visa / Passport
  • Copy of I-94

Procedures for Students Taking Leave for Military Duty

Utilize the following process if you need to take leave for Military Duty


Tax Information

Completing Form 8843
All international students, scholars, and dependents present in the U.S. under F-1, F-2, J-1, J-2 or M-1 nonimmigrant status must file Form 8843 "Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals With a Medical Condition” — even if they received NO income during the year.

Information for Tax Form 8843


Tax Form 1042-S

International students who receive scholarships and grants in excess of the amount of tuition and required fees for enrollment (qualified education expenses¬Ě) may be required to have Federal income taxes withheld at a rate of 14% under U.S. tax law.

The University will withhold the required Federal income tax, if any, and will provide the international student with Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 1042-S per tax year.
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University's international students (For example: F visa status) may be subject to Federal income guidelines on scholarship funds. Scholarships and grants in excess of qualified education expenses may be subject to tax withholding, per these guidelines, at a rate of 14%. Qualified education expenses include tuition and required fees for enrollment.

The University will withhold Federal incomes taxes at 14% if the following applies:
  • Scholarships and grants exceed the cost of tuition and required fees for enrollment charged to your student account.
  • The tax treaty between the U.S. and your country does not provide an exemption from, or a reduced rate of, withholding. See tax treaty countries here
If taxes were withheld on your behalf, you will receive Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 1042-S, Foreign Person's U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding, per tax year. 

International Students who receive Form 1042-S and are living in the Daytona Beach area may  bring the following documents to one of the Daytona Beach international tax workshop.  The following documents are required for the workshop:
  • Foreign National Information Form
  • Passport
  • U.S. Visa
  • Form I-20
  • All I-94s since becoming an F-1 or J-1 student
  • W-2
  • Tax Form 1042-SForeign Student and Scholars information can be found at the IRS Website.
If you are living outside of the Daytona Beach or Prescott area, it is highly encouraged that you utilize the assistance of a tax preparation service.