Skip to content

CPT Information

F-M students at Daytona Beach who would like to apply for off-campus work authorization, related to their program of study, before graduation must request permission from ISSS online.

Step 1: Before applying for CPT or applying to a specific internship/COOP please complete the CPT Verification Form. Once your eligibility has been verified you will be copied on a verification email to Career Services.  

Step 2: Once you have been verified as eligible to pursue CPT and have been offered an internship you will complete the request for CPT. 

Step 3: Attend the Career Services Contract Signing Presentation and upload a copy of your contract in your CPT request.

Step 4: Once you complete the recommendation through your online CPT application, you must email a copy of your job description to your advisor. The ISSS office will not approve any CPT until this step is completed. 

Step 5: You will receive an electronic I-20 to your Embry-Riddle email once approved. Please monitor your Embry-Riddle email.  

Frequently Asked Questions

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an authorization to work within the United States while studying on an F-1 visa. CPT must be an essential part of a student’s learning experience and must allow the student to apply knowledge and utilize skills they have gained in their academic program. CPT is usually taken as an internship or co-op.
The Co-op/Internship Program provides students with practical experience that reinforces the theoretical concepts learned in the classroom. The Co-op/Internship Program aids in bridging the gap between student life and the world of work. This program combines student’s academic and career interests with work experience in business, industry, government, or service organizations.
  • Be in Lawful F-1 status
  • You must have been enrolled in school full-time for one year (Fall and Spring)
  • The CPT must be an integral (required) part of your degree program; this means that it must either be required for your major, or it must fulfill a required elective for your major or program of study
  • You must have received an offer in your major or field of study before you submit your CPT authorization request
If you transfer to Embry-Riddle from another F-1 granting institution and you have completed a year between your time at ERAU and the other institution, then you are eligible to apply for CPT.
If you completed an Embry-Riddle undergraduate degree without a break (eg OPT), then you are eligible to apply for CPT.
  • You may apply for CPT at the undergraduate level after you complete your first year (Fall and Spring), but before you complete your bachelor’s degree.
  • When changing to the master's portion of your program, if the program requires an immediate participation CPT, then the 1 academic requirement can be lifted.
No, J-1 Students are not eligible to participate in CPT; however, they may complete Academic Training while in active J status.
No, you can do CPT full-time or part-time.  However, if you are completing part-time CPT, you must maintain a full-time course load.
You may do as many semesters of CPT as your specific program requires; however, if you go over 12 months of full-time CPT, then you will forfeit your ability to complete Optional Practical Training (OPT).
CPT must be approved each semester. The start date will be the first day of classes, and the end date will be the last day of finals
No, you may only be approved for CPT if the course is required for your major or if the CPT is a part of an elective that is required for your major.  
No, part-time CPT does not count towards your eligibility for OPT.
A CPT experience may be paid or unpaid.
No, the course that you take to maintain a full-time course load must be on-ground courses.
Extending your I-20 is approved for one of two reasons: 1) If the CPT is an academic requirement or an option in the program based on the curriculum, we are able to extend or 2) a medical reason causing a delay in the program. 
No, CPT must be completed within the United States. You may complete an internship or co-op outside of the U.S. during the summer semester without having to get CPT approved. However, you will still need to register for classes through career services and get a travel signature to leave the country.
Yes, PhD students are eligible to receive credit for internships or co-ops and complete an internship in lieu of dissertation credits.