Skip to content

Tax Information

During the United States Tax season (Late February through Mid-April) the International Experience Department holds multiple tax workshops. The workshops require registration to ensure that there are enough computers for each student or scholar. Directions for registration will be sent via email and updated here during the next U.S. tax season.   

The following documents are required for the workshop
  • Passport
  • U.S. Visa
  • Form I-20
  • All I-94s since becoming an F-1, M-1, or J-1 student
  • W-2
  • Tax Form 1042-S (if applicable)
For assistance outside of the U.S. tax season, please email the international experience office and request an appointment to discuss tax questions.

Completing Form 8843

All international students, scholars, and dependents present in the U.S. under F-1, F-2, J-1, J-2 or M-1 nonimmigrant status must file Form 8843 "Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals With a Medical Condition” — even if they received NO income during the year.

Information for Tax Form 8843

Completing Form 1042-S

International students who receive scholarships and grants in excess of the amount of tuition and required fees for enrollment (“qualified education expenses”) may be required to have Federal income taxes withheld at a rate of 14% under U.S. tax law.

The University will withhold the required Federal income tax, if any, and will provide the international student with Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 1042-S per tax year.

Information for Tax Form 1042-S