Skip to content

Invitation Letters

Do my family and friends need to apply for a visa to visit me? It depends. If your family or friends are citizens of countries which extend visa travel waivers to U.S. citizens, then they will not need to apply for a visa under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), but will need to request a travel approval through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). More information about the Visa Waiver Program is available at the following link.

Visitors with citizenship from countries which do not participate in the VWP should apply for a B-2 Tourist visa to come to the United States. The procedures and documentation needed to apply for a B-2 Visa may vary between embassies/consulates. Please have your family and friends review the application details of the nearest embassy/consulate. For more information, please visit the following website.

If your spouse and/or dependent children (under the age of 21) would like to visit you or join you for an extended amount of time, they are eligible to come to the U.S. as an F-2 or J-2 visa holder. You may submit a request for dependent I-20 by completing the application below.
The Records and Registration office will provide letters for Graduation Purposes ONLY.

For all other purposes of visiting the U.S, please use the following invitation letter example to assist you with writing a letter inviting your friends and family members to visit you in the U.S.