Skip to content

CPT Information

F-1 students at Worldwide campuses who would like to apply for off-campus work authorization, related to their program of study, prior to graduation must request Curricular Practical Training (CPT) [8 C.F.R. § 214.2(f)(10)] permission in advance.


CPT must be an integral part of your field of study. You must earn academic credit for this training/employment experience. This type of academic credit must apply to the program evaluation and never as credit in excess.

Step One:  Review your program evaluation with your campus advisor.  You are eligible if you have not fulfilled the requirements in the Professional Development core, upper level Professional Development elective or upper/lower open electives.

Do you meet the following academic criteria?

Internship assignments are available only to undergraduate degree-seeking students. You must be enrolled full-time. No more than 12 credits allowed for undergraduate students.  The following academic criteria must be met:
  1. Completed at least 30 ERAU credit hours applicable to degree
  2. Transfer students must have completed 12 credit hours with ERAU
  3. Cumulative GPA of 2.50 for all ERAU coursework
Graduate internship assignments are available to degree-seeking students; one graduate internship assignment is allowed. The following academic criteria must be met:
  1. Completed at least 6 credit hours applicable to degree program to apply
  2. Must be in full graduate-level status
  3. Completed nine credit hours by start of internship
  4. Cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 for all ERAU coursework
Step Two: If you have a place on your evaluation where credit can be awarded toward your degree program and you have met the academic criteria, you may apply for CPT.
You can visit the site by signing into ERNIE and clicking this link:

Contact the Student Affairs Office if you have any questions.


Step 1:  Complete the Student Agreement form, attach your resume, and submit to the Student Affairs Office.

Step 2:  After your eligibility to apply for the program has been approved by Student Affairs, you will need to take the following action:
  • Review and complete your profile in Handshake (Career Services)
  • Upload a resume
  • Apply for either a co-op or internship
  • You may also seek out your own opportunities
Step 3:  If you are offered a position, contact the Student Affairs Office for a link to the COIN Contract.  Submit the Contract along with your job offer letter to the Student Affairs Office.)

Step 4:  WW Career Services Office will prepare and forward the COIN Contract form to the appropriate College for review and approval.  If approved, a faculty advisor is assigned.

Step 5:  Student Affairs/WW Career Services will contact the Registrar's Office to register you for the course. Once you are registered, you must pay the course registration fee (cost is 1 credit hour for every 3 credits).
If you are an international student studying on an F-1 visa, you must have the approval from a Principal Designated School Official, PDSO ( If approved, the PDSO updates the student's I-20 with the start and end dates of the training experience and the number of hours allowed each week (part or full-time). If you do not have a social security number (SSN), you may need a letter from the ISSS office to apply for an SSN.

Step 6:  At the end of either the internship or cooperative experience, complete the COIN Summary form.  This form will be sent to you approximately two weeks prior to the end of your work experience.

Step 7: At the end of either the internship or cooperative experience, your employer will complete a performance evaluation of your co-op/internship.  The evaluation is part of the COIN Summary form.  Once completed, the evaluation will be forwarded to your Faculty Advisor for review.
​Please note:
  • CPT authorization is employer specific and is valid for the student’s current employer only. If the student changes jobs, s/he will need to apply for a new CPT authorization.
  • Students must keep all original copies of CPT I-20s as they will be required for future USCIS applications such as OPT, H1Bs and permanent residency.
  • Working improperly or without authorization is a serious violation of F1 status–Contact ERAU WW International Student Services for questions regarding CPT.